Mathematics Department: Introduction
- To enable every pupil to develop within his/her capabilities, the mathematical skills and understanding required for adult life and for employment.
- To provide every pupil with the Mathematics needed for the study of other subjects.
- To encourage every pupil to develop his/her appreciation and enjoyment of Mathematics itself.
- To develop a realisation of the role which Mathematics has played, is playing and will play in the development of science, technology and of our civilisation.
- To ensure that every pupil is aware that Mathematics provides a powerful tool for organising, communicating and manipulating information.
- To provide a foundation for Further Mathematical studies.
- To develop the ability to apply knowledge and skills to familiar and new situations across the curriculum.
- To develop the ability to organise and solve problems in a logical fashion and interpret the results in an appropriate manner.
- To provide the quality of teaching which will allow every pupil to achieve his/her full potential.
- To provide an environment in which Mathematics can thrive and ensure that sufficient materials, textbooks and equipment are available to meet the requirements for the agreed schemes of work.
- To ensure that every pupil is placed in a set commensurate with his/her ability and to review these sets at least annually.
- To review annually the schemes of work with a view to ensuring they comply with legislation in force at that time and that they provide the vehicle for good delivery of Mathematics through a variety of teaching methods.
- To ensure that the GCSE results are the best possible that can be obtained.
- To ensure that KS3 results are the best possible that can be obtained.
- To ensure that discipline is maintained in the classroom in such a way as to promote good teacher/pupil, pupil/pupil relationships and to enable a happy working environment to exist.
- To provide extension work for the more able pupils and additional support for the less able.
- To ensure that the Mathematics requirements of other departments are provided when needed both for staff and pupils.
- To promote Numeracy Across the Curriculum by holding regular meetings with other departments to ensure students recognise the transition of Mathematics in other subjects.